Monday, June 2, 2008

5 Things



This post is for all you crafty,sewy people out there. Do you ever buy beautiful books full of projects you can make only to look through them and never make anything? Well I do. I have decided to pick 5 projects from my beautiful books and actually make them! Part of my plan is that I have to use fabric and supplies that I already have.
Here's project #1...






I chose my project from a book by Amy Butler, In Stitches. Now for the fabric...


A pretty red and white toile type fabric. It's got the weight and feel of linen. Very pretty. I guess it's time to get busy...



Tip of the day... if you have to leave an opening in the fabric, criss cross two pins at the spot where you want to stop stitching. It will remind you to stop stitching so you won't have to rip out any seams!




I needed two 32x1/2" pieces of leather for the handles. I didn't happen to have any 1/2" leather laying around. Remember the rules? I can't buy anything new. My creative mind was working overtime for a solution, but it was my husband who suggested using an old belt. What a great idea!


I thought my next obstacle would be cutting the belt. I decided I would score it with my rotary cutter then cut it with scissors. But when I started to score it my rotary cutter sliced right through it like butter (that's 'buttah' to you and me baby)! I was impressed by my handy little rotary cutter.


And now the finished product...




This was a fun project to make. I can't wait to start project #2!!!

2 comments:

brittany said...

I have that same book! i made the apron out of it for debbie for christmas. it's the only thing i've made out of there, but i love the book. very clever with the belt! it looks like it worked perfectly.

Laurie said...

Thanks for the comment Brittany! I hope this inspires you to make something else. Do you have any other great books you could make something from?