This is possibly the best apple pie I've ever made!
The recipe is from allrecipes.com
Aunt Carol's Apple Pie
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- Peel and slice apples. Toss with sugars, cinnamon and flour. Set aside.
- Roll crust to make slightly larger to fit 10-inch glass pie pan. Fit bottom crust in pie pan. Turn in apple mixture and dot with butter. Put crust on top and crimp edges of crust together.
- Wet hands with water and dampen top of pie. Sprinkle with additional sugar. Puncture top of pie with fork so pie will vent.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and continue baking for about 45 minutes more, until crust is golden brown. It's a good practice to place a piece of aluminum foil slightly larger than the pie under the pie plate to catch overflows. Serve warm.
The key to this filling is the 1/2 cup of flour it calls for.
I customized the recipe as follows:
along with the cinnamon add
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/8 tsp. ginger
pinch of nutmeg
After the top crust is in place, beat an egg white and brush it all over the top. Sprinkle the top crust generously with raw sugar, bake. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream...
I came across this gorgeous caramel apple cheesecake recipe during my apple pie search. I think I'll try it for Thanksgiving.
You can find this and other fab recipes at