Saturday, August 30, 2008

Finished Projects!!!

I am a quilter. When we quilters actually finish a quilt, label and all... Well, I'm sure fire works and celebrations go off somewhere in the stratosphere!!!

I recently finished this quilt. It is called a $5 dollar quilt (should be the $5 million dollar quilt)...

This is how a $5 dollar quilt works. You sign up for the class at a local quilt shop. You go in once a month and get a pattern, instructions and enough fabric for the blocks you are working on. All of this for $5 (one time, like for the whole thing). You can miss one class, but if you miss another you have to pay $5 to get back in. So your $5 quilt can turn into a $30 quilt if you miss too many classes! Then you pay for the borders and backing fabric and someone to quilt it for you (that's how it turns into the $5 million dollar quilt). Still it's a fun way to get a quilt done.


Here's the finished product...


There is a saying in quilt land... "It's not a quilt until it's labeled"... A label is what gives the quilt 'provenance' or a point of origination. So if someday the owner of this quilt wants to know it's history, the label helps with this. That was your quilt lesson for the day!!!


This quilt was donated to a recent family reunion and is now being enjoyed by cousin Jill. I'm so happy she won the quilt and it's resting safely in it's new home...

5 comments:

Cousin Jill said...

Dear Cousin Laurie,
Yes I am enjoying the quilt you made for the reunion raffle
Yes I am using it on my bed. It is gorgeous and I have had many wonderful comments on your work.
A quilt is always wonderful, but to have it made by family is a blessing. Cousin Jill

Little Cottage said...

WOW Lauri, you ARE really good!! What a masterpiece;- & you then raffle it off????
Make some odd ones & sell at BH (maybe just throw size would be enough too}.
Have a good week :0)
Sylvi (who don't know how to quilt)

littlebyrd said...

Wow! It is wonderful! No way would I have the patience to do it, no way! It turned out great!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for finishing! It looks beautiful. Perhaps you have inspired me to complete mine...perhaps... Laurie

Anonymous said...

That is a BEAUTIFUL quilt, Laurie! I've done a couple of $5 quilts, but nothing as wonderful as yours. I love your label too... the icing on the cake.