Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Apples

It's that time of year when the leaves are turning and the apples are abundant... We have gone a little apple crazy around here. I have discovered a new apple crisp recipe and it has become a favorite. There is something comforting about the scent of apples and cinnamon wafting through the house on a cool fall evening. It is so good that you need to share in the experience (at least visually)!

Here is the recipe. It's from the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook...
Topping:
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 in pieces and softened
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans

Filling:
3 pounds apples (6-8), peeled, cored, and cut into 1 inch chunks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

1. For the topping: Mix the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together. Add the butter and toss to coat. Pinch the butter chunks and dry mixture between your fingertips until the mixture looks like crumbly wet sand. Add the nuts and toss to incorporate. Refrigerate the topping for at least 15 minutes before baking.

2. For the filling: Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix the apples, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest, together and place in an 8-inch-square glass or ceramic baking dish or 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Distribute the chilled topping evenly over the fruit.

3. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is deep golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!!!

And don't forget the to save something for the chickens (the ultimate in recycling)!


13 comments:

brittany said...

That looks really good, and I'm sure if it has been taste approved by you, it is!

Karen said...

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to have to try this one. I like oats, but I like apple crisp w/o oats, too. Yours is a little different than my recipe. And I agree about the composting, kinda "instant" with the chickens! They just got the rest of my garden yesterday! Karen

Beth Twist said...

America's Test Kitchen has THEE best recipes! Yum!

I hope your "girls" appreciate that you serve their scraps out of that darling bowl! My "girls" are such gluttons they never notice my vintage enamelware, especially during canning season. sniff.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I'd do without an apple core-r/peeler in my life!

Anonymous said...

That recipe looks especially irresistible, especially with those pecans!!
xox,
Linnea

Kelly said...

Yum yum yummalicious! I'd like some of the yummy goodness! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the encouragement too. love you

Gretchen said...

My mouth is watering!
I've got to make this!

littlebyrd said...

I can't believe you didn't bring me a piece of this today! I'm just kidding but it does look delicious! I forgot I had made a zucchini bread and was going to offer you some - totally forgot in all the sewing excitement. I cut another bag after you left plus some handles. Thanks so much for helping me out - I had lost of fun.
Then I was so inspired with all the etsy I started taking some pictures for vintage stuff until my batteries ran out. I hope you get started on your shop!

Anonymous said...

but i want that vintage peeler first! i am writing this recipe down while typing my response to your yummy post. i needed this recipe! you have no idea how desperate we are for some dessert here!
i'll save my peelings for your chickens but honestly yours look so much neater than mine will... the peeler. i want that peeler.
p.s. your compliment on my writing was very generous and very kind laurie :)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Oh, I sure love apple crisp! I haven't made that for awhile! I did make some pumpkin squares though. Love all the yummy fall treats!

Chelsea said...

I hope you saved me some!
Chels

Sandy said...

hey laurie, did you see my recipe where you don't have to peel the apples? it's yummy!

www.somewhereinstitches.blogspot.com said...

I love americas test kitchen also .They have the best recipes for sure . I will try 'your'recipe I have wanted a good apple recipe

http:
somewhereinstitches.blogspot.com
Thanks Debbie Kelly