Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Friendship

Recently an acquaintance of mine has become a friend. I first met her at Barn House last summer. She was out in the garden taking pictures and I stopped to admire the garden and say hello. We exchanged blog information and I began to follow her blog leaving comments admiring her writing skills and photograpy. She would visit my blog and leave comments also. There was something about her that was very approachable and friendly. She was one of those people that you want to get to know better. So last December I invited her to my annual cookie exchange. I have to tell you that I felt very insecure about inviting her. We hardly knew each other, what if she didn't want to come, what if she thought I was weird (you know, all that fear of rejection stuff)...

Well to my amazement she did come to the cookie exchange! It was a busy day and we did not really get a chance to talk much, but as fate would have it she left her platter and containers. So we met for coffee and I delivered the containers. I remember driving to the coffee shop worrying about what to say. Did we have anything in common? What if it was awkward... Three hours and 45 minutes later, we finished our coffee!!! Nothing to worry about there! During the coffee I told her about my secret desire to take really good pictures with a really good camera. She encouraged me to go for it and I did. I saved my money and bought a Canon Rebel XSi.

We met a second time for coffee, this time with our cameras in tow and she gave me some pointers on my new camera. We sat in the coffee shop through the breakfast crowd and then the lunch crowd talking and taking pictures! This is my new friend Robin! I would encourage you to click on the link and check out her blog, Bird Tweets. Her photography and writing are beautiful!




Have you made a new friend lately? You should try it, it's good for you!

10 comments:

Michelle said...

oh that is so wonderful...
and wow you have those same insecurities isn't it funny your new friend was probably thinking the same thing...

Dutchbaby said...

I love hearing your end of the friendship story; I read Robin's a few days ago.

Enjoy your new Rebel. You have an amazing mentor in Robin!

Little Cottage said...

Oh, yes, my friend! I am going to Cindy's sale :o)
My daughter, w/fam., lives in
Lake Oswego, so every time I go to see them, I pass by Oregon City!
Looking forward to see you & even more;- to OUR sales together at
BARN HOUSE! Tell Debbie & Kelly HI from me!
Hugs,
Sylvi
PS: Your friendship story is so sweet! Enjoy :o)

Anonymous said...

good pictures!! i had a very nice time as you well know. you are funny, very entertaining, lighthearted, game for anything. a perfect photo adventure pal. you make good lunches and i bet you would eat just about any baked good i might bring along next time :) have a great day today at the shopand i will see you soon!
xo

Maison Douce said...

What a wonderful thing!!! There are those people that you instantly feel this undisputed connection.... I'm sure we have crossed paths, maybe at Barn House....
Isabel

Heidijayhawk said...

i have to tell you how much i adore blog friends. we are having a crafty/artsy blog get together here in kc! we do it about once a year. soooo much fun!

Anonymous said...

I love your column on making new friends. Your writing and photography is very good too.
Did you get good pictures of Faith's birthday party?
Is that a digital camera?
I love reading your blog!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

That's so wonderful! Reminds me a lot of when my friend Paula (On A Rainy Night) night met. What's funny too... Paula and I went to Barnhouse together!

I hope one day we can all meet up for realzies over coffee too!

Karen said...

Oh gosh, you've got me thinking, reminiscing, relating exactly! I meet people all the time, my husband says "come on JoAnne" as in JoAnne Woodward in the Hallmark move Breathing Lessons. I get totally involved in conversations, etc. BUT, someone will say, "you come to my house and visit", I say "Sure!", but inside I'm so chicken! I think of all the weird reasons why I had better not go, feel weird, etc. IF I get there, I have a blast! You've got me in a contemplative mood and I may have to blog LOL. Thanks so much for visiting my blog, leaving such kind comments! I feel like I kinda know you, b/c we're both friends with Natalie! Keep taking those wonderful pictures, it would be awesome to have that talent! Karen

Lesa @ The Refuge Ranch Retreat said...

Singer Hill is awesome. I, too met Robin this weekend. I invited her to photograph the secret waterfall/creek here at the Ranch (Home of Tarte). You, too are welcomed. Lesa www.TheRefugeRanchRetreat.com

THE FRIENDSHIP STORY IS SUCH AN EXCELLENT REFLECTION OF WHAT IT IS TO GET OUT OF OUR COMFORT ZONE, AND LIVE. YA NEVER KNOW WHAT REWARDS AWAIT!!!!